The Groundwater Flow Model Report describes a groundwater flow model developed for the Santa Clarita Valley. The model was built with multiple layers that provide a three-dimensional numerical representation of groundwater movement horizontally within individual layers and vertically, between layers. The model will help guide development of the Groundwater Sustainability Plan and support future implementation and monitoring programs.
WHAT THE MODEL DOES
The Groundwater Flow Model simulates:
- Conditions in the groundwater basin
- Occurrence and movement of groundwater flow
- Groundwater flow processes
- Groundwater budgets in both aquifers
- The connection of local groundwater resources to the Santa Clara River and its tributaries
The model was developed by GSI Water Solutions, Inc., for SCV Water to analyze groundwater management options in the context of future water demand and water supply conditions in the valley.
HOW THE MODEL WILL BE USED
The Groundwater Flow Model will be used to:
- Establish historical, present, and future water budgets.
- Develop sustainability indicators by identifying minimum thresholds and measurable objectives.
- Assess the effectiveness of programs and projects designed to maintain sustainable pumping in the basin.
- Evaluate potential effects of groundwater management activities on surface water and on groundwater-dependent ecosystems.